How to enable the Autodesk Parameter Service
Welcome to our in-depth exploration of the Autodesk Parameter Service, a much antecipated cloud service from Autodesk that spreads across the entire ecosystem, not just Revit, and comes to improve parameter management and collaboration for teams. For BIM managers with access to the Autodesk Construction Cloud, you can now say goodbye to the old shared parameter txt files, and instead use a centralized cloud service that allows bulk operation, tagging and search capabilities.
If you already have the parameter service enabled, you can jump to the part 2 of this article where we discuss How to use the Parameter Service with Revit. Or if you are a BIM manager you may want to jump to the last article where we cover How to transfer your shared parameters to the Parameter Service.
So lets get start learning the reasons behind this service and how to set it up. So, keep reading and enjoy.
Why using the Parameters Service beneficial for Revit workflows?
The Autodesk Parameter Service was developed to tackle several prevalent issues in shared parameter management:
- Complexities in Managing Shared Parameter Files: Users often struggle to maintain one or multiple shared parameter files efficiently.
- The Burden of Adding Shared Parameters: A task that users find increasingly tedious.
- Uniformity in Reading Shared Parameters: The service ensures consistent interpretation each time they're added.
- Clarifying Design Intent: This often leads to duplicate parameters, which the service helps avoid.
- Efficiency in Finding Parameters: Users can now locate the right parameter more quickly than creating a new one.
Enhanced Functionality with the Web Solution
The web-based parameters platform boasts a built-in search engine, allowing for rapid discovery and narrowing down of specific parameters. This includes the ability to save searches, enhancing efficiency further. Additionally, the service enables setting defaults for Revit category bindings and properties palette groups, with the option to override them when needed.
Streamlined Cloud Integration and Access Management
This cloud service maintains an up-to-date and synchronized collection of parameters across Autodesk products and services. For access and permissions, only Autodesk Construction Cloud administrators can edit or add parameter definitions. In contrast, members are permitted to explore and load these definitions.
The Benefits of Using the Parameters Service
With rich definitions, including default settings for instance vs type and category selections, the service enhances Revit workflows. It allows more flexibility, offering the ability to override defaults when loading parameters. Organizing parameters into collections, adding labels, and saving searches is streamlined compared to the rigid structure of traditional shared parameter files. Moreover, it facilitates the bulk import of parameters into projects and families.
Getting Started: A Step-by-Step Guide
To access the Parameter Service in Revit:
- Find the Service: Located the Parameters Service buttonunder the Revit Ribbon in the Manage > Settings in Revit 2023. They also appear in any dialog where shared parameters are typically loaded. Clicking the Ribbon button will launch the service in "manage" mode, but if the service has not been set up you will find a
message to setup the Parameters service on the Autodesk Construction Cloud.
- Setup via Autodesk Construction Cloud: in case the service is not active yes, the Account Admin need to enable the Library and Parameters Service in ACC, by clicking on the Library icon.
- Activating the Service: Upon activation, the access to Forms, Parameters, and Cost is granted. Now you can click on the Parameters Section. If it is the first time after the activation that will load the Welcome to the Parameters Service Page, then please click the "Start Using the Parameters Service" button. Otherwise click on the Create Parameters Collection button.
- Creating the First Collection: Users can create and save their first collection, named "All Parameters", making it accessible to all with ACC access. At this point, everyone in your account with access to Autodesk Construction Cloud can access the Parameters Service from Revit and add to the Revit project. We will cover this workflow a bit in the second article. Please note that only the admin can access the service from within ACC.
As we conclude this first article in our series, we invite you to delve deeper into the Autodesk Parameter Service's capabilities. Just remember to use the latest version of Revit 2023, or you will find the service not fully implemented. Our upcoming articles will provide further insights. The next piece, How to use in Revit the Parameters Service, will guide you through the access rights, the creation of parameters on the online platform, and the intricacies of loading these parameters into Revit. Following that, the article How to migrate your Revit shared parameters to the Autodesk Parameter Service, tailored for BIM managers, will explore the migration of parameters from shared files and Revit templates or projects.
We also encourage you to experience the efficiency of parameter management firsthand with a 7-day free trial of Database Editor. Discover how it seamlessly integrates with Revit 2023, simplifying and streamlining your workflow.
Join us as we continue our journey through the Autodesk Parameter Service, unlocking new ways to enhance your Revit experience. Stay tuned for more insights and practical tips in our next articles.